Finding somewhere to get lab work done can be a headache. This leaves many people wondering if urgent care is a good place to go for lab testing. The answer is yes.
Urgent care lab testing services are convenient and accessible.
Whether you’re looking for a COVID-19 test, an STI test, a urine drug screening, or a reliable pregnancy test, your local urgent care center is the best place to go.
What Lab Tests Can Be Done at Urgent Care?
Lab testing helps give doctors a better understanding of the health problems you’re facing. They can also confirm your diagnosis and guide treatment options.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has defined 113 unique diagnostic tests. While not all of these are available at urgent care centers, many of the most common tests are.
You can expect the following lab testing services to be available at most urgent care centers:
- Rapid respiratory testing – These swabs test for common respiratory infections. This includes COVID-19, influenza (flu), RSV, and more.
- Other rapid testing – This includes tests for other common infections, such as strep and mono.
- Urine testing – A quick urine sample can be used for diagnostic tests like a urinalysis, alcohol or drug screening, urinary tract infections (UTIs), and pregnancy.
- Blood testing – A blood sample can be used to look at blood glucose (blood sugar) levels, A1C, metabolic panels, complete blood count (CBC), drug screening, thyroid levels, and cholesterol levels.
- STD/STI testing – Many types of testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) can be performed at urgent care. This includes tests for genital herpes, syphilis, trichomoniasis, HPV, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and more.
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing – A requirement for many healthcare workers and anyone else who might be exposed, TB tests can be performed at most urgent care clinics.
How Fast Can I Get Results from Urgent Care Labs?
Performing diagnostic labs on-site allows your urgent care provider to make a diagnosis and prescribe the best treatment as quickly as possible.
But not all tests are the same.
For some, such as rapid tests for COVID-19, flu, strep, RSV, and mono, results can be determined in minutes. This lets your provider diagnose and treat your illness in one convenient visit.
Other tests take longer. While many labs can be analyzed on-site, some need to be sent to an outside facility with specialized equipment. This may mean you have to wait for your results.
Regardless, being able to walk in for lab testing at most urgent care locations will save you time compared to scheduling a visit with your primary care provider (PCP). It’s also extremely affordable since most insurance plans are accepted and self-pay costs are low for those without insurance.
Urgent Care is Best for Fast Lab Testing
The next time you need a lab test, whether it’s for illness, a new job, or peace of mind, consider visiting your local urgent care. You can walk in when it’s convenient and can even get results on the same day depending on the type of test you need.
Time to get a lab test? Find an urgent care center near you now.